The Schenectady County Legislature announced the official transfer of the Duanesburg YMCA property in Delanson to Chris and Lauren Davis.
Last year, the Legislature approved the County entering into an agreement that creates a public-private partnership with the Davises that includes the property sale and a community benefits provision that guarantees specific public benefits at the facility for a period of 10 years.
“We’re thrilled to announce that the Duanesburg YMCA has been successfully transferred to the capable hands of the Davis family,” said Gary Hughes, Chair of the Schenectady County Legislature. “Their unwavering commitment, alongside the dedication of key individuals including our Director of Development and Planning, Ray Gillen, our legal team, and the leadership of Legislators Jasenski and Vellano, has brought this project to life. As we anticipate its opening next month, we look forward to this facility once again becoming a thriving hub for the community that will also provide public benefits to Duanesburg schools and our seniors.”
"We're excited to officially take ownership of the Duanesburg YMCA building, and our gratitude goes out to everyone who played a part in making this dream come true,” said Chris and Lauren Davis of 4everbods Fitness. “We're eager to reopen the facility next month, to restore essential services to the community and partner with Duanesburg Schools and Schenectady County to transform the facility into a genuine community hub. Mark your calendars for our open house on February 14th to witness the unveiling of our new facility; stay tuned for event details on our website and social media.”
Community Benefits Provision
The proposed agreement between Schenectady County and the Davises includes a Community Benefits Provision that guarantees the following benefits for a period of 10 years:
- Lease or license to the Duanesburg Central School District, reasonable access to the gymnasium and swimming pool at a value of up to $20,000 per year;
- Provide thirty free gym memberships or the equivalent in programming benefits each year to Duanesburg youth with lower incomes as recommended by the Duanesburg Central School District;
- Allow free access to the swimming pool to Schenectady County and the Schenectady County Boys and Girls Club for the purpose of conducting lifeguard training up to four times per year;
- Make the kitchen and dining areas available at no cost to Schenectady County for the purpose of hosting a senior meal site; and
- Use of the facility as a back-up site for Schalmont High School for emergency purposed in conjunction with Schenectady County and the American Red Cross.
The 26,276 square foot Duanesburg YMCA building was originally built in 2009 and is located on 28.61 acres in the Village of Delanson. It currently contains a 25-yard 5-lane lap pool, a large gymnasium with retractable seating for 350 people, a wellness center, an aerobics/spin room space, a large community area space with attached full commercial kitchen, outdoor basketball and pickle ball courts, and an outdoor playground with playground equipment. The Duanesburg YMCA was closed in 2020 due to the pandemic, with the closure becoming permanent in 2022.