Schenectady County is partnering with GreenSheen Paint,a paint recycling and manufacturing company located in Rotterdam, to host a free paint recycling event for residents. GreenSheen will collect the paint and then take it to their facility in the Rotterdam Industrial Park, where it will be recycled into new products.
Schenectady County offers several free programs throughout the year that enable residents to safely dispose of hazardous and other household items, including household hazardous waste collection, paper shredding, and electronics recycling.
“Schenectady County has sponsored multiple events this year to make it easier for residents to recycle paint, common household chemicals, and electronics waste, which can have a big impact on our community,” said Anthony Jasenski, Chair of the Schenectady County Legislature. “This paint recycling event is one more way we can work together with our residents to divert waste from landfills and help keep our environment cleaner and greener for future generations.”
Secure a spot by registering at www.schenectadycountyny.gov/event/paint or by calling (518) 388-4775. While walk-ups will be accepted based on availability, pre-registration is highly recommended to save time and guarantee your preferred time slot.
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2023
Time: 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Location: SUNY Schenectady West Parking Lot
Accepted Materials (only in 5-gallon containers or smaller)
- Interior and exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (including textured coatings)
- Deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric)
- Primers, sealers, undercoaters
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component)
- Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
- Metal coatings, rust preventatives
- Field and lawn paints
- Paint thinners, mineral spirits, solvents
- Aerosol paints (spray cans)
- Auto and marine paints
- Art and craft paints
- Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues, adhesives
- Paint additives, colorants, tints, resins
- Wood preservatives (containing pesticides)
- Roof patch and repair
- Asphalt, tar and bitumen-based products
- 2-component coatings
- Deck cleaners
- Traffic and road marking paints
- Industrial Maintenance (IM) coatings
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) (shop application) paints and finishe
Residents and businesses can now dispose of unwanted paint for recycling at any local PaintCare drop-off site. More information about the program, including a list of paint products accepted at each location and a full list of participating sites, is available at https://www.paintcare.org/states/new-york/. The program began on May 1, 2022 in New York State.
Visit https://www.schenectadycountyny.gov/county-calendar for the latest information about Schenectady County events.